Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Help With Noise Filter  (Read 54983 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Help With Noise Filter
« on: July 02, 2009, 11:04:42 PM »

Hello guys just isolated a line noise problem it appears to be coming from my refrigerator I found two different noise filters but I'm not sure which one I should use. The refrigerator is rated at 15A so would a 5AMP be sufficient or would I need the 10AMP there appears to only be two versions of these  and no explanation as how to select one or the other based on the output of the appliance. Thanks!

Tom j.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: Help With Noise Filter
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 12:22:00 AM »

As I understand it, and please someone correct me if this is wrong, the Amp rating of the filters is based on the current that the connected device (refrigerator in your case) is likely to draw through it.

If that is the case, your 15 Amp refrigerator would burn up either the 5 or 10 Amp filters.
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 12:50:19 AM »

In most homes today the refrigerator is on its own dedicated circuit.  If it truly is generating noise, the big XPF 20A in-line filter can be wired into that circuit at the distribution panel.

That said, I don't recall ever reading about a refrigerator generating noise.  Maybe this is a new one with some sort of high-efficiency electronic control rather than an ordinary induction motor?

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

tom j

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 02:30:29 AM »

In most homes today the refrigerator is on its own dedicated circuit.  If it truly is generating noise, the big XPF 20A in-line filter can be wired into that circuit at the distribution panel.

That said, I don't recall ever reading about a refrigerator generating noise.  Maybe this is a new one with some sort of high-efficiency electronic control rather than an ordinary induction motor?

Jeff

Well I don't know but when I unplug the refrigerator the problem is gone, it's definitely the frig, it's expensive but not new I think about 8 years old, and isn't on a dedicated circuit. So the refrigerator will burn it up the 5 or 10amp? it's even advertised for use with refrigerators.  ???  Thanks Guys.

Tom j.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 02:40:06 AM by tom j »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 06:17:28 AM »

With many new appliances now having electronic controls. I would say that noise or signal sucker maybe possible.  ???
I believe we have seen reports of modern washers and dryers also making problems.  ::) Like the ones I saw with a communications connector so they could communicate with each other.

Kramer Chins

• Kramer Chins
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 09:27:43 AM »

The refrigerator being a signal sucker is more likely.  It would not suprise me that the electronic control board could have a capacitor on the power input as part of a surge protection circuit.

Something to consider is that both noise sources and signal suckers are additive.  The refrigerator may be the "final straw" that lowers the signal level enough (or produces enough noise) to cause reliability problems.  There may still be other devices that are contributing to the problem.

I was thinking about the 15A spec on your refrigerator.  Does it say it pulls 15A, or it should be plugged into a 15A circuit?  Refrigerator compressors are actually not that large.  Like A/C compresses, they will pull a surge current when starting up (especially if it was not off long enough for the pressure to bleed down).  However, the running current should be well under 15A, and perhaps even under 5A.  That said, you still have to size the filter so the surge current will not burn it out.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

tom j

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 08:51:11 PM »

The refrigerator being a signal sucker is more likely.  It would not suprise me that the electronic control board could have a capacitor on the power input as part of a surge protection circuit.

Something to consider is that both noise sources and signal suckers are additive.  The refrigerator may be the "final straw" that lowers the signal level enough (or produces enough noise) to cause reliability problems.  There may still be other devices that are contributing to the problem.

I was thinking about the 15A spec on your refrigerator.  Does it say it pulls 15A, or it should be plugged into a 15A circuit?  Refrigerator compressors are actually not that large.  Like A/C compresses, they will pull a surge current when starting up (especially if it was not off long enough for the pressure to bleed down).  However, the running current should be well under 15A, and perhaps even under 5A.  That said, you still have to size the filter so the surge current will not burn it out.

Jeff

Say Jeff thanks for the help!!! Going to call GE and ask them Monday please check back so you can help walk me through this. Called x10 and they recommended using a noise filter at the box FXPF is the one they suggested, and wiring it in at the breaker. A plug in filter would be a lot easier but I guess I could have my electrician stop by and do it I don't really like playing around with electricity. But I will call GE and ask them specifically what you said. Thanks!!!!! And I gave you a helpful!

Tom j.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 11:42:04 AM by tom j »

tom j

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 11:39:33 AM »

tom j heres a 15amp noise filter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/X10-15-Amp-Plug-in-Noise-Filter-AF120_W0QQitemZ120315133679QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c03573eef&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Say Kramer THANK!! just saw this got to gave ya a point for this. Will call GE and see if I can use a 5 0r 10 amp like Jeff suggested but this is good information to have, and Kramer for a newbie you're really on the case.   :)%

Tom j.

Kramer Chins

• Kramer Chins
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 05:07:44 PM »

>! No problem tom j.......

:' and my wife says I spend to much time on Ebay....  rofl

tom j

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 07:48:40 PM »

>! No problem tom j.......

:' and my wife says I spend to much time on Ebay....  rofl

Hay Mr. K any  -:) idea who makes it? seems pretty nice don't think it's an x10 product. Thanks!!

tom j.

Kramer Chins

• Kramer Chins
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 07:59:05 PM »

It's hard to read in the picture... I magnified it 200% and it looks like Advanced (Something) Technologies out of Indianapolis Indiana.

tom j

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 08:13:57 PM »

It's hard to read in the picture... I magnified it 200% and it looks like Advanced (Something) Technologies out of Indianapolis Indiana.

Thanks might email the guy when I find out I'll let you know. Probably will work just fine, largest plugin one I've seen!

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 09:46:01 PM »

Well guys called GE and it seems like it 11.3 for the running amp, so the 5 or 10 I guess won't work only the plugin 15 or the one that x10 recommended that you place in the box that one is rated at 20, so what would you guys suggest? Wonder how much the FXPF that x10 suggested guess I could have my electrician friend pop  it in. Hmm  B:(  ;D

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 09:53:44 PM »

Heck x10 wants 60 bucks for the XPF that's a JOKE! Thanks Kramer going to get the plugin for sure!

Tom j.

http://www.x10.com/pro/automation/xpf.htm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.