Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: CM15A will be back soon!  (Read 54057 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: CM15A will be back soon!
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2012, 02:41:44 PM »

With ADT, Verizon, Leviton, Logitech, Honeywell and others offering Z-Wave devices, I assume the early issues have been addressed. However, it looks like it requires a Ph. D. in Z-Wavery plus a healthy bank account to install/handle.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2012, 04:20:36 PM »

The Lowe's Iris Security and Automation Systems. Combine both Z-Wave and Zigbee devices in their offering.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 04:22:26 PM by Brian H »

localuser

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2012, 12:25:35 AM »

My system consits of a combination of zwave, x10 and soon zigbee solution.    I just found that each technology had their own advantage/disadvantage.  For example I don't want my door locks and alarm system to run on x10 because it is very insecure (no pairing required or encryption)  so anyone could come by and open up my house. 

I use x10 to control some lights and my sprinkler system and pool timer and it works very well for that.   I use zwave for the door locks, alarm system, and smart switches (power monitoring).

I am just getting into zigbee because it seems t have most of the advantages of zwave but its an open system that I can build my own devices from.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2012, 07:07:31 AM »

For example I don't want my door locks and alarm system to run on x10 because it is very insecure (no pairing required or encryption)  so anyone could come by and open up my house.

If it uses RF without rolling codes, it is still insecure no matter whether using pairing or encryption. All a burglar need do is capture and playback the codes. Only rolling codes, which change with each button press, are (relatively) secure.

Besides, I believe current X10 security consoles do use pairing.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

medic5678

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2012, 04:44:17 AM »

regarding the level of security ...  you'd have to be protecting something pretty valuable for someone to try
to beat your system, no matter if it's x10.  my goal is just to make it more work to break in my home than it's worth.  i plan to do it in a fairly low tech way with redundant systems ... some x 10, some simpler standalone devices, especially on the perimeter of my property (6 acres).  how would anyone know whether they were fully integrated or not?  if one alarm goes off, i think most theives would assume that leo is being notified.  so my initial plan is to do it all with x10...  i do have a rolling code alarm system that i'm going to try to link with my x10 via a powerflash module.  all of my systems will be battery backup protected, plus it's going to be an incredible amount of work just to shut my power off.   

the bottom line:  make it more work than it's worth to rip me off, and mr. theif will go down the road to an easier target.

i'm going to definitely pick up a cm15a when they're available :).

medic5678

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2012, 01:57:14 PM »

per sales, they will be receiving the cm15a's on 10/22/12, and these units are identical to the prior manufactured units.

medic5678

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2012, 01:57:50 PM »

priced at 99.99 :).

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2012, 02:57:33 PM »

per sales, they will be receiving the cm15a's on 10/22/12, and these units are identical to the prior manufactured units.
Thanks for telling the forum! We were all wondering if X10 made any improvements. Now we know.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2012, 05:19:58 PM »

Thanks for telling the forum! We were all wondering if X10 made any improvements. Now we know.

Plus, it looks like a doubly improved price!    ;)
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2012, 07:16:01 PM »

Plus, it looks like a doubly improved price!    ;)

rofl I need a Depends.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2012, 08:07:40 PM »

"Identical" is a relative term when it comes to X10.
Just because they *say* it is identical, doesn't mean it really is. I'd be curious to hear some *real* feedback from some users when they get the new one. It would be interesting for one of the "experts" here who like to tear open the units they buy, to see what's inside.

medic5678

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2012, 02:41:33 AM »

one thing i'm not at all worried about is having the controller work without a computer.  wouldn't dream of it, though i see how it might appeal to some, depending on their setup and what they're trying to protect.  i am scouting ebay now for powerflash modules, since my concern is to get powerline input into the computer.

it's really a shame the way management has squandered x10's leadership in the home automation industry.   this could be a case study for an mba class.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2012, 07:08:34 AM »

it's really a shame the way management has squandered x10's leadership in the home automation industry.   this could be a case study for an mba class.
$0.02
I don't think they had a lot of choice. One of they reasons X10 has lost market share is because the X10 communications protocol is being interfered with from modern day devices using noisy switching (or switch mode) power supplies. In the past five years X10 has done what they could to improve the situation (like incorporating AGC in all their AC control modules) but it just hasn't been enough. The X10 protocol is long on tooth and there isn't a good way to fix it with the common incandescent bulb being regulated out of existence, CFLs and LED bulbs (most of which contain switching supplies) being mandated in, and switching supplies now being cheaper to build than older design transformer supplies, "smart" power meters using the same powerline spectrum as X10, etc.

X10 may be the buggy whip industry of the 21st century.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:32:02 AM by dave w »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2012, 08:33:19 AM »

I agree with dave w and would add this...

X10 had a patent which kept competitors at bay for many years. They did not exploit the patent in the way it's usually done (e.g. Apple) with excessive prices but chose to offer low cost devices and go for maximum volume. Now that strategy is biting them in the ass. Their patents have expired and they now have numerous upscale competitors (many of whom were previously X10 licensees) and the low cost of their devices makes it difficult to add features. Nor have they shown much talent in their design and software departments. I think they will continue to fade towards oblivion.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2012, 09:40:48 AM »

One of they reasons X10 has lost market share is because the X10 communications protocol is being interfered with from modern day devices using noisy switching (or switch mode) power supplies. In the past five years X10 has done what they could to improve the situation (like incorporating AGC in all their AC control modules) but it just hasn't been enough.

There are ways to deal with powerline noise beyond having filters inserted all over the place.  And there is even a solution to the horrendous noise produced by that Echelon smart electric meter.

I started work on a noise eliminator that would have totally eliminated noise at the distribution panel, and boosted X10 signals.  I stopped when it became obvious it would be too expensive for me to produce, but a company with manufacturing in China could produce it for an acceptable price.

X10 still has life left in it, but it takes some new technology to deal with the new technology that is causing the problems.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.