Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: SS13a flooding AHP and CM15a  (Read 12382 times)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: SS13a flooding AHP and CM15a
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2014, 11:17:51 AM »

Just a quick update. I received my XTB-IIR today on Xmas Eve. What a fantastic Xmas gift to myself.

"From Me - To Me" gifts are always right on!  ;D
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

lviper

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2014, 10:26:34 AM »

Well, I feel safe saying that my flooding problem seems to be solved with the replacement of the XCPR with my new XTB-IIR. I have not seen one flooding incident since I installed it 2 days ago. So I'm a happy camper at the moment.  :)%

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2014, 02:03:53 PM »

Good to read your flooding signal problems are gone.

dwills

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2014, 12:05:24 PM »

All

I posted on another thread as well so hopefully that or this will trigger.

I noticed the comments on another thread about using an XPCR "being another problem" beyond scope of post.  Like many other people I have been having X10 problems for about a year or two.  It used to be solid as a rock.  Then things changed.  With tips from the Tuiceman site I've managed to get some control back but I have to have a PC running with a CM11A.  But the AH program seems to need restarting every now and then.  I have simple timers, no macros.  Some timers work.  Some don't.  I can see the timers in AH but one will show up in the activity monitor and one won't.   I used to use a CM15A.  Now I can't tell if that's working or not.  It says things are downloading to the interface but the routines don't seem any different than PC + AH + CM11A.

I thought maybe it was noise etc so I bought an XPCR.  Given that much of what I mention is AH related I guess I'm grasping at straws but I wondered what your XPCR problems were and how you knew you had them.  I don't want to install one more variable and yet another potential source of a problem.  You mention flooding.  How do you know this is happening/

I see references to dumping AH and struggling with the "improved" AH.  Where can you go from AH and as of today's date is it worth jumping or trying to make AH work?  Given that AH seems to be as much a contributor to my issues jumping seems attractive but it could be out of the frying pan and into the fire!!

dwills

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2014, 12:37:55 PM »

Sorry.  In previous post it's a CM19A not CM11A.

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2014, 12:40:16 PM »

dwills, I discovered my flooding problem when I went to turn on a light using the stick-a-switch and it didn't come on. I then looked in my AHP log and noticed the command repeating itself continuously. Once the flooding stopped either on it's own or me tripping the breaker for the XPCR, the light came on.

Once I replaced the XPCR with the XTB-IIR my flooding problems have stopped. I still have the little quirks with AHP and some macros not running once in a while, but I don't do many fancy things anyway.

I'm currently looking at HCA, Home Control Assistant and am liking what I see so far. What I really like about it is it will do X10 as well as others. So if I decide to add other things like Insteon, zwave and the like, I can use HCA.

joe s.

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2014, 12:47:56 PM »

lviper - are you "test driving" the full Plus package of HCA currently - or the limited one?

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2014, 02:10:52 PM »

lviper - are you "test driving" the full Plus package of HCA currently - or the limited one?

Full version. I wanted to look at how to program things. I haven't set it p with my CM15a since I have to load a different driver to use the CM15a with HCA. But I have liked what I see so far and have ordered a WGL W800 as well as HCA Plus from Smarthome. They had the software for $120, HCA directly is $160.

First thing I really liked about HCA is the fact I can listen for the DS1a via the WGL W800 and act on it directly using "conditions" without the need to use a phantom module.

joe s.

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2014, 05:58:24 PM »

I think I bought my HCA via Smarthome also - the prices are always better.  Obviously they have a distribution arrangement that HCA doesn't want to damage.  Have fun!

dwills

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2014, 11:23:39 AM »

Well that answers another question.  Where do people flee when they abandon AH?  Man that's expensive stuff but I guess if the HCA software and XTB hardware get control of legacy X10 modules it's a solution.  What bugs me is it used to work.  But as others have pointed out the whole electronic environment is noisier today so what might have worked when this stuff was sold as Radio Shack wouldn't work today because then we didn't have all the stuff plugged in that can create noise such as TVs, microwaves, chargers, routers and who knows what else.

I also saw another system while I was trolling - Z Wave but again big $$.  Could replace everything at mega bucks or have dual systems.  I'm thinking X10 never realized the potential for their product and what they could have charged and invested to improve and get things "right" instead of going out of business and resurfacing with the same hardware that has been around for 30 years?  Well 25 anyway.  I still have a plug in Radio Shack X10 mini controller with clock that still works and the layout is just about identical to what is sold by X10 today.

At the price of replacing X10 I have more of an incentive to make it work.  I discovered another problem that was not AH or X10.  It was me.  When I added modules and set the timer I didn't notice the calendar duration and it was Jan 1 to Jan 1 or something very limited.  The timers  that worked had no limit or were Jan 1 to Dec 31.

Thanks for the answer on the storming.  I hear from the maker of the XTB that XPCR problems are legend and common so forewarned is forearmed

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2015, 11:35:53 AM »

Just wanted to give an update as to where I am and what I did.

While the XTB-IIR did indeed fix my flooding problem and gave x10 plc reliability at the same time, I was back to the same quirks of AHP. By quirks I mean the need to use phantom modules for security devices if I wanted to use conditions and problems with flags sometimes not being set. Using phantom modules also meant an extra second or 2 before a light would turn on.

So I took the plunge and also purchased HCA 12 Plus. HCA is Home Control Assistant. I also got the WGL W800USB. So now I have the W800 receiving all RF signals from remotes and security devices including security remotes and they go directly in to my computer. For X10 plc I'm using a CM11a. I can now use a DS10A to trigger my porch light to turn on when I open the door and it actually turns on before I step outside, about 1 second later. Before with AHP and phantom modules it took 3 to 4 seconds.

What I really like about this setup is the fact that X10 RF signals are not directly broadcasted over the powerline by default. I can tell HCA to automatically retransmit the RF to PLC by house code, or I can setup programs for each HC/UC one by one. More work to setup but it keeps the powerline free of unnecessary PLC transmissions. So now my motion sensors not only trn on lights at the times I want, the PLC from these motion sensors do not clutter the powerline on the other times I do not want the light on.

This is a very powerful solution if anyone is looking to move on from AHP. I wasn't looking but when Joe S. mentioned his setup earlier and I looked in to it, I jumped. So thanks Joe.

Also, if interested Smarthome has the HCA12 Plus for $120 while direct from HCA it's $160. You have to wait for the CD to be mailed, but the $40 savings was worth the wait.

joe s.

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2015, 01:48:50 PM »

I know....right?  And we still have the option to integrate Insteon, UPB or Z-wave controllers/devices if we ever feel the urge or have an application specific to a product using those protocols.  Since HCA I've actually made room occupancy sensors work properly!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.