Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Harmony P2. Help  (Read 22255 times)

Moose

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: Harmony P2. Help
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2022, 08:17:41 AM »

I have had that happen a lot. It almost always is the PLM not the P2. But the fix ix the same, unplug the PLM for a few seconds...

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2022, 11:43:16 AM »

Last couple of days, Alexa has not executed commands to change the state of X10 devices, i.e.: "Alexa, turn off porch lights" ... she dings like she's doe the command, but no action of the devices. Get no success using the Smartenit app on the phone either..no change in state of device.

I haven't had the time to crawl into the space where all the routers, etc, including the P2 are housed to reboot..just wondering if lack of response is due to needing a reboot of the P2?

I'm not having any issues so it's not a server issue. To troubleshoot, the first question would be "Can you see the state change in the Smartenit app when you tell Alexa to turn it on/off?" If the green ring doesn't turn on & off see below.  If it does, try rebooting the PLM and if the problem still exists it could an X10 signal issue so try a mini controller in the same outlet to test.

Another question is "Can you control the X10 devices from the Smartenit app?"  If not, reboot the P2 & the PLM.  Other than an occasional power failure that would cause a reboot, I haven't had to do that.  If you can control your devices with the app then I'd look at the Alexa app to ensure the Smartenit skill is still enabled and, either way, I'd disable it and re-enable it.  I've had to do that for my iAqua-link skill. 

SkipWX10

« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2022, 08:11:46 PM »

Thanks for the tips. As it turns out, I could not see a change in the app, so assumed it was a P2 reboot issue.

Just got in the 'mechanical space' ( a euphemism for 'the area under the stair landing accessed through an opening behind a table' ;-} )

Rebooted the P2 only, not the PLM and all is now working....took about a half hour to settle back to normal. When I first did the reboot and the P2 came back online, no love...but after dinner viola!

brobin

« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2022, 09:05:00 PM »

That's odd that it would take so much time to come back unless it's a network issue.  When I had my G2 using WiFi it would often need a reboot to reconnect after a router reboot but never again after I switched it to Ethernet.  It would take about 3 minutes after a reboot to come back online.  I had it set up to reboot remotely which, with your P2 in a hard to reach place, you might find convenient as well.

Plug the P2 and the PLM into a small, non filtered power strip like this one:
amzn.to/3PgHuS2
Then plug it into an X10 Appliance Module or an Alexa capable module and make the reboot easy from anywhere!

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is to try logging out of the app and then logging back in if the app doesn't see the P2.
To log out, tap the menu icon in the upper left corner, then tap on your name at the top and scroll down to the bottom to find the big red logout button.

Moose

« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2022, 09:09:51 PM »

As luck would have it, mine quit late this afternoon too. I just unplugged the PLM for a few seconds and it was good to go again.

radioguy1007

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2022, 09:13:24 AM »

I also have been having the same issue with the PLM.  I was unplugging it about every 3 days, then I tried just pulling the USB cable from it for 5 seconds then reconnect.  I found that works the same as a power cycle.  So what really is going on with these modules?

brobin

« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2022, 10:24:29 AM »

That's an interesting piece of info. If pulling & reinserting the USB plug clears the problem it could be something in the P2 that's causing the issue.  That's actually good news since Smartenit might be able to fix it with a firmware update while the PLM is cast in stone.  I've been using my P2 for over three years and have had never had that problem so I have no input other than to suggest you go to the site and contact support.  They're pretty quick to respond.

Other thoughts...
1.  Try a different USB cable.  Maybe there's some oxidation or intermittent short.  Don't skip this step!  Cables always cause problems.

2.  Try doing a factory reset on the PLM.  To reset the PLM to its original factory settings, unplug it from the wall outlet and wait 10 seconds. Press and hold its SET button, plug it back in, continue holding the SET button for 3 seconds and release. After several seconds, the Status LED will turn on, indicating a reset is complete. https://cache-m2.smarthome.com/manuals/2412uqs.pdf

3. If the problem persists you could try the set up I described above and schedule a nightly reboot as a last resort.

Keep us all posted!

Moose

« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2022, 04:38:48 PM »

As luck would have it, mine quit late this afternoon too. I just unplugged the PLM for a few seconds and it was good to go again.
Well, 6 days later and it quit again. I tried just pulling out the USB cable this time, for a few seconds, and that worked too.

brobin

« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2022, 06:36:47 PM »

That's an important piece of information as it means that neither the PLM nor the P2 actually needs to be rebooted - only the USB connection.
Did you try a different USB cable?
I think a trouble report to Smartenit would be valuable particularly since they're working on a f/w update right now.  They can look at the logs on the P2 to see if they can spot a problem.  https://smartenit.com/contact_us/

Moose

« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2022, 09:23:52 AM »

My Smartenit P2 PLM hung up again, twice about 3 days apart. The 2nd time, I had to pull the plug rather than just pull the USB. I have reported the issue to Smartenit.
This time though, I decided to swap in my new PLM and a new USB cable to see what happens. To get a spare, I bought a new P2 spare in order to get the accompanying PLM. That was cheaper than any direct source that I could find. They are out of P2's right now, but buying a G2 could get you a PLM.

brobin

« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2022, 11:17:10 AM »

Hope that solves it.  If it does, try it with the old USB cable to determine if that's the issue or if it's the PLM.  Good move buying a spare.

Even a new G2 with a PLM @ $205 is a bargain now with PLM's selling for hundreds now on ebay.  It makes the G2 essentially free!

Moose

« Reply #116 on: May 28, 2022, 12:04:53 PM »

Good move buying a spare. Even a new G2 with a PLM @ $205 is a bargain now with PLM's selling for hundreds now on ebay.  It makes the G2 essentially free!

My thoughts exactly. I was going to share this idea earlier,  -:) but then they sold out of P2's.  :(

Moose

« Reply #117 on: June 01, 2022, 09:26:27 PM »

Well, it happened again, even with a new PLM and USB cable. Had to unplug the PLM this time, pulling USB did not help.

brobin

« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2022, 12:50:27 AM »

Contact Smartenit support.  IIRC, you're still under warranty.

Moose

« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2022, 08:22:44 AM »

I have shared these last 2 events with Smartenit after my original report to their Support.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.