Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Harmony P2. Help  (Read 22257 times)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: Harmony P2. Help
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2021, 08:00:28 AM »

Things with the P2 have been good since Saturday - I used it a few times yesterday and also this morning.  In all cases the devices responded and worked as expected.  Will monitor how things go the rest of the week and update here, but so far an improvement.

So other than resetting your Harmony hub everything else is connected to your network as it was before you noticed the problem. Is that correct.

soxfan1966

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2021, 08:53:01 AM »

Only other thing was changing out the cat-5 cable from the P2 to the network switch, and changing the port on the network switch nit is connected to.

That and the reset of the PLM.

Other than that, everything nis the same.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2021, 09:29:56 AM »

Only other thing was changing out the cat-5 cable from the P2 to the network switch, and changing the port on the network switch nit is connected to.

Other than that, everything nis the same.

Ah. So effectively you replaced your Cat 5 cable and swapped to a different port on your network switch. Hopefully that’s resolved your problem but unfortunately you haven’t isolated the actual cause of your original problem. I doubt your cable was the cause. More likely the resetting of the Harmony equipment or the swapping over ports resolved your issue.

Just be mindful you have quite a few sources of RF and PLC control in the mix together which can cause undesirable side effects. I’ve one single CM19 in my setup but that clearly wouldn’t suffice in your situation.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2021, 11:34:53 AM »

Only other thing was changing out the cat-5 cable from the P2 to the network switch, and changing the port on the network switch it is connected to.

Other than that, everything is the same.

That's great news!  :)%  My money's on the PLM reset as as it's a well documented solution among Insteon users.  It's analogous to clearing the CM-15A when repurposing it for the PiX10Hub.  If you were able to connect to the P2 from the app before switching the cable & port, that was not likely the problem.  If it was, it wouldn't have been solved by just unplugging the USB cable.  I'd just take what is hopefully the win and move on but if you want to pin it down you could put the old cable and port back in play and evaluate.

A word about Insteon PLM's.  In addition to the 2412U there is also a 2413U version that adds Insteon RF (NOT X10!) to the mix.  I use that because I added an Insteon RF Open/Close Sensor to a package drop box so that a delivery triggers a text message, flashing light and chime.  The 2413U has a high failure rate, unlike the 2412U which is rock solid.  The fix is to replace the 7 electrolytic capacitors with more robust values.  Mine failed on Saturday.  Knowing that eventually it would, I had the caps on hand and it's back in service.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2021, 12:40:21 PM »

Only other thing was changing out the cat-5 cable from the P2 to the network switch, and changing the port on the network switch it is connected to.

Other than that, everything is the same.

That's great news!  :)%  My money's on the PLM reset as as it's a well documented solution among Insteon users.  It's analogous to clearing the CM-15A when repurposing it for the PiX10Hub.  If you were able to connect to the P2 from the app before switching the cable & port, that was not likely the problem.  If it was, it wouldn't have been solved by just unplugging the USB cable.  I'd just take what is hopefully the win and move on but if you want to pin it down you could put the old cable and port back in play and evaluate.

A word about Insteon PLM's.  In addition to the 2412U there is also a 2413U version that adds Insteon RF (NOT X10!) to the mix.  I use that because I added an Insteon RF Open/Close Sensor to a package drop box so that a delivery triggers a text message, flashing light and chime.  The 2413U has a high failure rate, unlike the 2412U which is rock solid.  The fix is to replace the 7 electrolytic capacitors with more robust values.  Mine failed on Saturday.  Knowing that eventually it would, I had the caps on hand and it's back in service.

I'm fortunate as my CM19 is the Euro version 433mhz and covers both standard RF/X10 standard codes/and X10 security codes.Thankfully I don't require any additional X10 equipment to pass the signal around the premises. Of course I don't need to consider 2x110v supply entering the premises at the board,just one single 220v supply to consider.

I'm assuming the OP has the Harmony equipment installed to facilitate the use of Alexa. I'm not a big user of Alexa but when I do need it HomeGenie looks after that.No messy bridges installed either. I tend to keep the setup as simple as possible. Less sources to cause similar symptoms to the OP.

I was however interested to read how the Harmony equipment integrates into a system like this.

brobin

« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2021, 02:17:20 PM »

I was however interested to read how the Harmony equipment integrates into a system like this.

I look at the P2 as an HA "Swiss Army Knife" as it bridges multiple systems. I can use not only Alexa, but X10, Insteon and ZigBee devices interchangeably as needed even controlling one with the other.  The Insteon Open/Close sensor turns on an X10 chime and could turn on a ZigBee (Ikea or Hue) bulb. 

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2021, 03:26:41 PM »

I look at the P2 as an HA "Swiss Army Knife" as it bridges multiple systems. I can use not only Alexa, but X10, Insteon and ZigBee devices interchangeably as needed even controlling one with the other.  The Insteon Open/Close sensor turns on an X10 chime and could turn on a ZigBee (Ikea or Hue) bulb.

It was really the X10 side of this that interested me. I’ve all the other protocols sorted out. Am I correct in saying that the Harmony hub is doing X10 via IP in this case.

soxfan1966

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2021, 03:28:54 PM »

So unfortunately the lockup issue just happened again.  The Smartenit app appears to reflect what it thinks the action was and the state of the device, but nothing happens on the PLM.  No led light flash or anything.

I unplugged the USB cable from the P2, waited 10 seconds and then plugged it back in.  Used teh Smartent app and turned the same device on and then off and it worked (Smarenit app shows green circle aroung item when its on etc) and the led light on the PLM flashed too.

So back at step 1 I guess.  Not sure what the deal is.  Bad PLM maybe ?

brobin

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2021, 03:41:51 PM »

It was really the X10 side of this that interested me. I’ve all the other protocols sorted out. Am I correct in saying that the Harmony hub is doing X10 via IP in this case.

X10 (and Insteon) transmit & receive to/from the P2 is done through the PLM via USB essentially the same way as the PiHG uses a CM15A or as a Stargate/Ocelot/et al uses a TW523.  The P2 also has a built in ZigBee radio for those devices.  IP is used for cloud connectivity for Alexa and the Smartenit server for app connection and messaging.  If the IP connection is interrupted programmed Automation Rules will still execute so my package drop scenario will still work without IP.

brobin

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2021, 03:49:10 PM »

So unfortunately the lockup issue just happened again.  The Smartenit app appears to reflect what it thinks the action was and the state of the device, but nothing happens on the PLM.  No led light flash or anything.

I unplugged the USB cable from the P2, waited 10 seconds and then plugged it back in.  Used teh Smartent app and turned the same device on and then off and it worked (Smarenit app shows green circle aroung item when its on etc) and the led light on the PLM flashed too.

That's certainly possible and would be covered under warranty but I'd like to see you try a new USB cable first just to eliminate that as a possibility.  If you don't have one from a printer you can get one for $4 on Amazon. https://amzn.to/2YYZgjK

In the meantime, you could try another PLM reset.  Was there any particular activity occurring when it locked up this time?

brobin

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2021, 03:55:30 PM »

BTW, I use this short USB cable between the P2 and the PLM as I have the two pieces strapped together with a zip tie.
http://HttpS://amzn.to/3rEI7rT

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2021, 04:09:50 PM »

X10 (and Insteon) transmit & receive to/from the P2 is done through the PLM via USB essentially the same way as the PiHG uses a CM15A or as a Stargate/Ocelot/et al uses a TW523.  The P2 also has a built in ZigBee radio for those devices.  IP is used for cloud connectivity for Alexa and the Smartenit server for app connection and messaging.  If the IP connection is interrupted programmed Automation Rules will still execute so my package drop scenario will still work without IP.

This has me intrigued. Is this the unit you are using https://smartenit.com/shop/zbplm/   If not could you attach the link for the one you are.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2021, 04:12:29 PM »

By any chance do you use an X10 security panel in your setup.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2021, 04:15:30 PM »

Hopefully a little information. Though not reverent to your P2 problems.

The 2412U and 2412S use a linear transformer power supply and could supply unregulated +12 volts in the serial connector. Smartenit has the 2412U made just for them by Smarthome. The base 2412 main assembly is also used in some of their other products. With their own daughter board.

The newer 2413U and 2413S have a power line driven Switching power supply.
Smarthome did NOT use capacitors rated for switching supplies until recently. The 2413S and 2413U  have a reputation of failing. Usually shortly after the two year warranty. There is a very long thread on the UDI forums on how we rebuilt ours.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2021, 04:27:12 PM »

petera
The 2412U in the P2 kit. As a $20 option. It is made for Smartenit by Smarthome.

This module from what I can see. Is the base 2412 unit with their USB or Serial Daughter Board.
https://smartenit.com/shop/ezicomm/

The one you asked about looks like a 2412 Base Unit with some added features on its Daughter Board. Like ZigBee that can have a Serial or USB output added as an option.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 04:42:30 PM by Brian H »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.