Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Insteon as we know it is gone  (Read 20751 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Insteon as we know it is gone
« Reply #120 on: July 15, 2022, 05:34:18 PM »

The discontinued replaced by a 2413S/U, 2412U PLM was the power line only PLM.
Made just for Smartent. After it was replaced by the 2413S/U models.
I kind of doubt the new owners would make any more.
Not even sure that any PLM will ever see the light of day.
Even the 2234-222 USB and 2234-223. PLM Plus in the FCC database but never released.
So Jeff your work may not be for nothing. Your equipment is much better than the Smarthome gear was.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 06:08:29 PM by Brian H »

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #121 on: September 04, 2022, 02:10:44 PM »

Out of curiosity I tried using the XTB-XM with Home Control Assistant (HCA) and a USB to serial port adapter.  It would not establish communication with the XTB-XM.  I eventually tracked that down to HCA requiring the GET_IM Configuration and SET_IM Configuration commands.  While these bits only relate to Insteon operation, I added a configuration byte in the version 1.01 firmware, and now it is working fine as a 2413S with HCA for X10 devices.

But so far there has been virtually no interest in this project.

Jeff
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 02:30:11 PM by JeffVolp »
X-10 automation since the BSR days

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #122 on: September 04, 2022, 02:34:35 PM »

I think we've reached a point where anybody still using X10 probably has what they need.  When a problem comes up it's just as easy for many to jump ship for a newer option. 

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2022, 03:00:04 PM »

I think we've reached a point where anybody still using X10 probably has what they need.  When a problem comes up it's just as easy for many to jump ship for a newer option.

That is probably true - at least for those of us who don't have hundreds of dollars of installed X10 wall switches.  But there are continuing sales of the XTB-523 to replace failed X10 devices.

Based on the early interest in this project I had ordered a batch of boards for the XTB-XM, but they will be assembled as XTBR's that are still selling fairly well.

Jeff

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #124 on: September 06, 2022, 04:08:53 AM »

Repair and/or repurpose is becoming quite fashionable now. Once again X10 enters another economic downturn (how many is that now) and surprisingly to some is still managing to hold its own in its field. While there’s people like Jeff around (creatively thinking outside the box) X10 technology will still remain very much part of the solution. Everyone knows you can’t keep a good man (or technology) down.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #125 on: September 06, 2022, 06:14:05 PM »

I am not surprised that the XTB-523 is still requested.
The TW523 is long gone and you take a chance with the auction sites. On is it working as posted or what description?

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #126 on: November 30, 2022, 07:31:48 PM »

As brobin suggested earlier, I can set up macros in the Ocelot to convert a "trigger" from the Harmony to an extended dim command.  But that relegates the Harmony to just an Alexa interface if the Ocelot is still the main controller.

I became frustrated with the poor reliability of the Harmony processing the "theater dim" sequence in response to an Alexa "Theater OFF" command.  So I relegated the Harmony to just passing the X10 ON and OFF commands to the powerline (through the XTB-XM), and using that as a trigger for the dim or bright sequence issuing extended commands running in the Ocelot.  So far it has worked 100% of the time.

Jeff

brobin

« Reply #127 on: November 30, 2022, 09:44:56 PM »

As brobin suggested earlier, I can set up macros in the Ocelot to convert a "trigger" from the Harmony to an extended dim command.  But that relegates the Harmony to just an Alexa interface if the Ocelot is still the main controller.

I became frustrated with the poor reliability of the Harmony processing the "theater dim" sequence in response to an Alexa "Theater OFF" command.  So I relegated the Harmony to just passing the X10 ON and OFF commands to the powerline (through the XTB-XM), and using that as a trigger for the dim or bright sequence issuing extended commands running in the Ocelot.  So far it has worked 100% of the time.

Jeff

That's exactly how I use it with my Stargate - just as a trigger. Keeps it simple.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #128 on: December 05, 2022, 09:53:06 AM »

UPDATE:  Recently the reliability has fallen off, but it seems to be due to Alexa.  I'll issue a command.  After several seconds Alexa says OK, or sometimes doesn't respond at all.  Last night was the worst so far with Alexa taking maybe 10 seconds to issue the X10 command.  And Prime video has been very sluggish responding to commands - sometimes taking a minute or more to come out of pause.  Netflix is fine, as is our computer internet response, so the problem is Amazon itself.  Maybe it is time to go back to local control with the Palmpads.

Jeff

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #129 on: December 05, 2022, 10:16:20 AM »

Recently the reliability has fallen off, but it seems to be due to Alexa.
I don't know if your issues are an upshot of recent turmoil within Amazon.  But at the very least, the future of Alexa as a maintainable third-party integration seems uncertain.
INSIDER: Amazon is gutting its voice-assistant Alexa.

brobin

« Reply #130 on: December 05, 2022, 11:15:49 AM »

We use Alexa extensively in our home and haven't noticed the delay... maybe a regional issue?  I've noticed that sometimes the command will be executed before hearing the acknowledgement though. 
Interesting article about Alexa's future.  I'm not crazy about subscription based services but that's one I'd pay for.  I can't see them simply dropping support for the millions of devices out there though. The backlash and call for refunds would be crushing.

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #131 on: December 05, 2022, 09:57:34 PM »

Amazon is definitely not monetizing my use of Alexa. I have 5 Dot devices and Smartenit and solely use Alexa to turn on an off X10 devices. When I first got  Alexa, my wife and I would sit a recall old songs we loved and play them, but that lasted maybe two weeks. Now she's relegated to lighting commands....I am a Prime member since I joined to get some Blink cameras so I guess they are nicking me annually though...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.