Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: cmdhst.xx log file format  (Read 47536 times)

huntco

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
cmdhst.xx log file format
« on: August 08, 2006, 07:53:10 PM »

First, I'm assuming the cmdhst.xx (00, 01, 02, etc.) files in C:\Windows\All Users (Win98) are the "activity monitor log" files for ActiveHome Pro.  Unfortunately, they're not plain text.  Before I go hacking around trying to decipher them, has anyone else come across the format / a decoder?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: cmdhst.xx log file format
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 09:47:23 PM »

Apparently, there aren't any. No word processor, Wordpad or Notepad will display them. Why do you even want to edit them?
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

huntco

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 09:52:50 AM »

I don't care about editing them.  I want to dump them to a database, extract certain records (ie: motion sensors), do some correlations, trend analysis, etc.  All I'm after is the data in a readable / legible format.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 10:47:05 AM »

Apparently, they are in a proprietary format of X10, not any standard one.  You can't extract any of the data in them to anything, database, word processor or anything else.

Perhaps X10 Pro would like to explain to us about the cmdhst.xx log file format. Apparently, every time you do something in AHP, one is created.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 12:09:07 PM »

I don't care about editing them.  I want to dump them to a database, extract certain records (ie: motion sensors), do some correlations, trend analysis, etc.  All I'm after is the data in a readable / legible format.

ActiveHome [Original] (CM11A) had an 'accessory' program that converted the contents of the LOG file to readable text (you created a shortcut for the 'accessory' program and then dragged the LOG file over it). I just took a quick look on my current HA PC (Toshiba 550CDT) and couldn't find it. So, later on, I'll power up the old Toshiba 430CDT and take a look at my fileserver and see if I can find it. [Unless another "Old-Timer" knows what I'm talking about and already has it handy. ;) ]

Now, this is *ALL* based on the 'assumption' that the format remained the same - [HA!  :o ] - but, if 'they' created one for the CM11A, ?maybe? there's one floating around for the CM15A? <insert "Wishful Thinking" smilie here>
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

huntco

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 01:27:47 PM »

Well, I found x10log.exe at ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/applications/activehome/x10log.exe from a thread (http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=7901.0).  It would appear that the log format is different enough that the CM11A log decoder will not correctly decode CM15A logs. :(

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 01:48:48 PM »

Have you posted a message to X10 Pro?
If there was one for the CM11A, there should be on for the CM15A.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 03:01:42 PM »

Have you posted a message to X10 Pro?

MIA past few weeks...  :(

Last Active:  2006-07-19, 18:32:13

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 04:56:05 PM »

Just sent him an e-mail. We'll see if an e-mail response is recived and if he posts in this thread.

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
How to Create Non-XML (TXT) Versions of ActiveHome Pro Reports
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 10:13:55 PM »

How to Create Non-XML (TXT) Versions of ActiveHome Pro Reports
Oldtimer
[/b]
I haven't used this trick in years, and never in XP, so I just tried it and it worked!  I hope I can explain it clearly.  By the way, this trick works on all kinds of files that have proprietary formats but are read by display programs with a print capability. 

• 1.) First go into Control Panel and select Printers.
  • 2.) Next start the Wizard to add a New Printer.  The port for the printer will be "File".  It doesn't need to be shared.  The brand name will be "Generic" and the model number will be "Text Only". 
  • 3.) Before you display the Activity Monitor, make your Generic/Text Only printer the Default printer.  This is necessary because the Print Function in the Activity Monitor display automatically prints to the default printer. 
  • 4.) Select Print and you will be prompted for a File Name.  Enter it and finish printing. 

This will produce an ASCII file on your desktop (I have no idea why it's on the desktop).  If you check the properties of this file, you'll find out where XP actually put it.  Once you have it located, open the file in Wordpad and you will see a very neat text display of the data in the Activity Monitor.  For sophisticated analysis bring the file into your word processor or your spread sheet program. 

I've attached a sample 'Activitiy Monitor Text File' that was generated using the XP Generic Text Printer.  It will open in Notepad, but looks better in Wordpad.

Good luck!

[TTA Edit: Re-formatted into a LIST; Combined posts; Added 'Sample' attachment]
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 06:58:05 PM by TakeTheActive »
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 10:24:54 PM »

...this trick works on all kinds of files that have proprietary formats but are read by display programs with a print capability....
That cool! I wish I could bookmark your message! I guess I'll just need to rely on the search function if I ever need to use it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 10:32:47 PM by steven r »
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 10:35:59 PM »

steven r:
You can always "cut and paste" to make a file in your "X10_Tips&Tricks" directory.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 10:43:50 PM »

...You can always "cut and paste" to make a file in your "X10_Tips&Tricks" directory.
I just "cut, pasted and edited" an email to myself. I then moved the message to my email saved folder. That way I'll always have it with me.

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 10:49:51 PM »

That cool! I wish I could bookmark your message!

• RIGHT CLICK on oldtimer's TITLE LINK (just above Reply #9 on:) and select OPEN IN NEW WINDOW
  • In the new window, CLICK ON FAVORITES -> SAVE
  • DONE! :)

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 11:48:04 PM »

I haven't used this trick in years and never in XP so I just tried it and it worked.  I hope I can explain it clearly.  By the way this trick works on all kinds of files that have proprietary formats but are read by display programs with a print capability.  First go into control panel and select printers. Next start the wizard to add a new printer.  The port for the printer will be "file".  It doesn't need to be shared.  The brand name will be "Generic" and the model number will be "text only".  Before you display the Activity Monitor make your Generic/Text Only printer the default printer.  This is necessary because the print function in the Activity Monitor display automatically prints to the default printer.  Select print and you will be prompted for a file name.  Enter it and finish printing.  This will produce an ASCII file on your desktop (I have no idea why it's on the desktop).  If you check the properties of this file you'll find out where XP actually put it.  Once you have it located open the file in wordpad and you will see a very neat text display of the data in the Activity Monitor.  For sophisticated analysis bring the file into your word processor or your spread sheet program.  Good luck!

Tried it under WinXP and there was nothing in the text file it created that was useful, just line after line of 1/01 0000.  So after posting this, I will delete the file.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.