Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Door/Window sensor modification  (Read 14567 times)

aldobbins

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Door/Window sensor modification
« on: August 11, 2006, 11:35:27 AM »

Does anyone know if you can trim the edge of the sensor without causing damage to it. My magnets line up, but do not touch due to space restrictions on door casing and door itself; I am afraid to move any farther apart due to loss of contact.  Door edge and sensor edge rub when opening/closing door. Any suggestions ???

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
Re: Door/Window sensor modification
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 12:29:21 PM »

The ones I've installed over the years had a great deal of leeway as to positioning.  The magnet and the sensor did not have to be in relative close proximity.  Put an ohmetter on the sensor and play around with them to see what your options are. As to trimming the plastic I don't see any problem with that.  I believe the sensor itself is a glass encapsulated reed relay.  Trim the plastic and when you get to the glass housing stop or change the angle of your shaving.  As long as the reed relay can't fall out of the housing whatever you do should be ok, although you might want to touch it up with acrylic paint when you're done so it looks better. If the housing turns out to be hollow instead of solid then you may have to secure the reed relay with some kind of cement when you're done. Don't be afraid to try this.  The glass housing used in reed relays is quite tough.

Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 10:17:18 PM »

Just remove those and see if you can find some smaller ones any normally closed contact will work check out Radio Shack and explain to them your problem.

Tc

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 10:18:46 PM »

Checkout Thehomesecuritystore.com they have a whole host of sensors you should be able to find one that will  fit your needs. See the link below. Good Luck

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ezStore123/DTProductList.asp?p=2_1_1_1_0_0_45

Tcj
Mr.Security

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.