Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: PL activity to a CM19a  (Read 10501 times)

liderbug

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
PL activity to a CM19a
« on: July 03, 2014, 11:08:01 PM »

I've got a CM11a on a 10 year old ARM box and it sees everything on the powerline.  I've (in progress) upgraded to a RasPi and a CM19a/TM751 and the sending is working great.  But I'd like my CM19a to 'see' everything on the PL.  Is there a 157MT?  Detect data on the PL and RF it? (-> 19a).

Thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: PL activity to a CM19a
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 06:09:04 AM »

You want an X10 PL signal to X10 RF sender?
I don't believe there is such a device.
Will your RasPi work with a CM15A? It does both Sending and Receiving of X10 PL and X10 RF.
I am sure there will be others with more information. As RasPi is being used by some here.

liderbug

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 12:11:06 PM »

Let me reword my problem/what I'm trying to solve.  Hydroponic greenhouse, tank of liquid/soup/mix 24" deep.  Right now I have a float, old curtain rod, 1/2" wire glued every inch, a microswitch connected to a PSC-01.  And it's working.  As the pump runs I get F8 On, F8 Off......  I want to totally switch to my RasPi/CM19a.  I went looking for X10 ... sends a wireless sig.  So question: DS10a? with a magnet every inch? 2in" 4in".  I assume a 10a sends one closed or one open and not open,open,open........  Or a PAT01?

Thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 12:53:18 PM »

The DS10A or the new DS12A send X10 Security messages. The CM19A can process them.
They are not the standard F8 On and Off type messages. So you may have to do some added decoding with your RasPie.
About every sixty minutes. It also sends out a Heartbeat message. So a security console knows if it is still working. It is its present state if memory serves me.

There is an example in this X10 users thread on a DS10A and a water sensor. The X10 message format would be what would interest you as the mods for water sensing would not be required with magnetic switches.

http://www.gardnerswebsite.com/ds10a/index.html

If all the magnetic switches are Normally Open and wired in parallel. As the magnet passed each one. It would close and send a closed message back.

The DS12A replacement for the DS10A has a terminal block in it for a second zone externally wired and it has an internal magnetic switch not on the end of a wire. Like the DS10A.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 01:38:11 PM by Brian H »

liderbug

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 07:19:22 PM »

Brian, Thanks, I've got a couple of DS12a's on order.  I'm thinking adding a rotating shaft with magnet.  Should be here Wed. then give me a couple of days to construct and test...

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 06:01:41 AM »

OK. Let us know how it works out.
The DS12A has two separate Zones in it. The Internal magnetic switch is near the small arrow on the side. The external one can be connected to the small terminal strip on the bottom. It has a piece of wire in it so the Zone is normally closed.
Both zones will send the check in message about every sixty minutes.

liderbug

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 08:07:47 AM »

Just got and email - "Shipped".   So while my breath becomes baited...  What is the range of a CM19a?  25'? 50' 7000'?  Assume no walls.

Thanks

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 09:27:37 AM »

25-30' is typical but this little trick will double or triple that.
P.S. baited breath might catch flies but...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 09:31:12 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

liderbug

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 10:20:08 AM »

But it be the flys I want - protein   :)%

Aside:  my liquid tank (24" deep), a brick sized block of styrofoam, an old curtain rod with a short piece of heavy wire glued every inch and a micro switch -> psc01 ... so how... ds12..... Oooooooo Ahhh ya, got it.  A shaft with 2 wheels, one .3xxx" in dia = 1" around, second wheel with magnet attached.  The Oooo Ahhhh comes from: our new http://library.ppld.org/library-21c Library has a couple of 3D printers.  And the cost is penny's.  "Tea, Earl Grey, hot." 

>!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 12:46:51 PM »

But it be the flys I want - protein   :)%
Yep, hydroponic veggies are a bit shy on protein.

If you need more range, you can get hundreds of feet by adding an eggbeater antenna to the CM19A receiver.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 01:14:49 PM »

Dave;
Do you think the Eggbeater Antenna may mess up the transmitter part of the CM19A?

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 01:35:24 PM »

Do you think the Eggbeater Antenna may mess up the transmitter part of the CM19A?
I don't recall whether I've seen the innards of the CM19A but it should be possible to wire independent TX/RX antennae. Of course, adding  it to TX would give you really great range (I might possibly futz with Noam's lights without giving his neighbors CFLs.  ;D) but that would be violating FCC rules.
The schematic shows that TX & RX share the small wire antenna but I suspect it would be easy to cut a trace between C18 and the antenna and then run a signal wire from C18 plus a ground wire to a 50-ohm BNC connector. Given that it's USB-powered, one could even send 5V over the coax to power a preamp at the antenna for truly impressive range. Several years back I mounted an eggbeater atop the MR26A which used the same plastic case as the CM19A so that's another option. I had pictures but suspect they are on a long retired W98 PC.

I just recalled that a friend of mine designed a very sophisticated method of measuring the depth of liquid in a tank. It did not employ X10 but it might be adaptable with your Raspberry Pi. Check GTBecker's posts to the ZBasic forums.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 08:36:00 PM by dhouston »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 01:15:00 PM »

What about hacking up a PalmPad remote? You could wire a DC power supply in place of the batteries, and wire the switches to the button contacts. You would need to make sure the float disconnects the contacts as it passes each level, but it might work.

liderbug

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 03:24:30 PM »

I've thought about that - the problem is the float only moves, ever so slightly every 2 hours and the chance of it stopping in the "on" depressed position.  I've got on order a DS12a and mounting the magnet on rotating shaft - film at 11...

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 05:14:20 PM »

Here's the thread on Tom Becker's method.
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.