Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Insteon as we know it is gone  (Read 20752 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Insteon as we know it is gone
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2022, 05:55:28 PM »

The prices are out of this world. On some of the Insteon modules.
Especially things like 2413S and 2413U PLM modules. With little information on them like the revision number.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2022, 12:05:26 AM »

That's amazing.  I never looked at Insteon prices other than the dual X10/Insteon modules SmartHome sold.  I assume they were in the $100 price range for that controller originally?  Pretty nice windfall to whoever timed their old system sale!  If every module that went out of production did this, I guess I'd be able to make some extra cash too.   rofl

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2022, 06:10:00 AM »

The 2413S/U PLM was $79.99. So where the older 2412U/S power line only PLM.
I believe the HUB was around the same $79.99.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2022, 04:41:11 PM »

If you could add Insteon support there might be some good money to be made.

Yes, those prices are insane.  But there is no chance to convert any XTB hardware to support Insteon because it uses a totally different communication method.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2022, 05:40:06 PM »

Jeff;
Thank you for looking at the Insteon protocol. To see if it was even possible to do with your X10 enabled devices..

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2022, 01:41:13 PM »

After being derailed for a couple of weeks on other tasks, I started working on this again.  The serial input has been converted to interrupt driven, so that should prevent loss of communication from the computer unless the actual message is corrupted.  I have been testing this with a terminal emulator, but it will need to be tested with an actual Smartenit Harmony.

It presently supports receiving and transmitting X10 commands as well as the Reset and Get Version commands in case they are needed by the Harmony.  It will ignore and issue the LED serial error if it receives any other command.

Also, there is no double buffering, and it will not accept another send X10 command until the pending send X10 command has completed transmitting.

Note that it will support X10 only.  And converting pre-set dim to extended has not yet been implemented.

Jeff

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2022, 03:54:12 PM »

Happy to test a prototype on mine.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2022, 04:47:27 PM »

Happy to test a prototype on mine.

I'm not ready for that yet.  I need more info on how the two play together before I'm ready to send off a beta version.  I hope borrow or pick up a used unit for further testing.

If I have to purchase a new unit, does the basic 6007E come with all the software needed for X10, or do I have to purchase the X10 upgrade even though I'm not going to use the Insteon Modem that comes with it.

Jeff

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2022, 04:54:08 PM »

All you need is the base unit, all the software is included in the G2/P2.  The X10/Insteon add-on is just for the 2412U PLM.  You'll need the Smartenit App to interface with the unit which is free and has no monthly charge.  If you need to borrow a PLM for testing I have spares.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2022, 05:32:01 PM »

All you need is the base unit, all the software is included in the G2/P2.  The X10/Insteon add-on is just for the 2412U PLM.  You'll need the Smartenit App to interface with the unit which is free and has no monthly charge.  If you need to borrow a PLM for testing I have spares.

Thanks.  I'll just purchase a new basic unit if I don't hear back from Smartenit.  There hasn't been one on eBay since I started this project.

I should not need the Insteon PLM if the XTB-XM will communicate with the Harmony.

Jeff

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2022, 06:20:56 PM »

Update.
Today the HUB serever starting to work again.
It was announced that a few of Insteon team has taken over the Insteon line and hopes to get Insteon back running.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2022, 09:58:25 AM »

Update.
Today the HUB serever starting to work again.
It was announced that a few of Insteon team has taken over the Insteon line and hopes to get Insteon back running.

Well, that's good news. I like the action of the ToggleLinc and SwitchLinc switches over X10's design (press UP for ON, DOWN for OFF - it *just makes sense*). And I found their switches (including the pre-Insteon ToggleLincs from SmartHome) to be much more reliable (in X10 mode) than X10's switches ever were for me (until the capacitor blows - which I know how to replace, or the comm board fails - which is EOL of the unit for me). I hope they start manufacturing them again, as I'd like to stick with X10 (and push off having to change everything over to something new) as long as I can.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2022, 11:19:30 AM »

The XTBM-Pro allowed me to capture what is being sent on the powerline for a Leviton extended command.  It just has 64 brightness levels from off to full-on.  That is only twice the resolution of a pre-set dim command.

Since a pre-set dim command does not include the house or unit codes, it must be preceded by a unit select.  The XTB-XM can convert that command pair into the Leviton extended command.

So, the question is how to enable this.  I can have the XTB-XM either substitute the extended command X10 transmission for the pre-set dim transmission.  Or I can have the extended command "tailgate" the pre-set dim command so that mode would still be supported for modules that respond to pre-set dim commands.

This could be done on a command-by-command basis by following the pre-set dim command with a Status_On command, which the XTB-XM would convert into the extended command.  Or it could be done globally enabled by a jumper inside the unit, converting all pre-set dim commands to extended commands.

Suggestions?

Jeff
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 02:42:32 PM by JeffVolp »

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2022, 04:33:25 PM »

Since there has been no feedback on how to enable converting pre-set dim to extended commands, I chose what should be the most universal.  When a jumper is added inside the XTB-XM, it will transmit the extended command doublet after the pre-set dim command.  The extended commands are sent as a doublet so the XTBR and XTB-IIR will repeat them as it does for the CM11A, CM15A, and Ocelot.  And when enabled, the ACK is sent to the Harmony when the extended transmission ends, delaying it about a second.  Hopefully that will not be a problem.

I have not heard back from Smartenit regarding a used or loaner Harmony, so I will have to buy a G2 for testing.

Jeff

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2022, 10:54:51 AM »

FWIW, although I have little to no use for this solution, I would have voted for the jumper option.  :)

(I was on vacation for a week and not checking forum posts.)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.