Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can't Install VA11A Under Windows XP  (Read 23131 times)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Can't Install VA11A Under Windows XP
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2007, 11:15:19 PM »

At least we wouldn't have to put up with software related problems, but I suspect the other causes (misuse, improper installations, power line noise) would still be around.

Every X10 USB product would a have Vista Certified drivers the day Vista was released to the world.  Wouldn't it be Wonderful. 
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2007, 09:28:37 PM »

At least we wouldn't have to put up with software related problems, but I suspect the other causes (misuse, improper installations, power line noise) would still be around.

Every X10 USB product would a have Vista Certified drivers the day Vista was released to the world.  Wouldn't it be Wonderful. 

Wow Dan... that's the nicest thing you've said to me in months!   :D

They would have to let me tele-commute though.  I don't think I would like living in Seattle and it's about a 3 hour drive from here (one way) assuming there are no traffic snarl-ups (which there always are).   ::)

Doesn't hurt to dream I guess.   ;)
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

SeeImRed

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2007, 10:35:43 PM »

One issue I've encountered in Vista Home Premium and the device is an error with the X10 Device Network service. This service is not programmed correctly according to MS developer guidelines. The Event System error is:
Log Name:      System
Source:        Service Control Manager
Date:          3/17/2007 7:47:07 PM
Event ID:      7030
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Description:
The X10 Device Network Service service is marked as an interactive service.  However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services.  This service may not function properly.

The related KB article is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925518/en-us Programs that try to send a message to Session 0 may stop responding in Windows Vista

The workaround is to change the service Log on to a user account. This gives the acct Log on as a service right. Unfortunately, I have not been able to defeat the VA11A issue... yet. I don't believe the roadblock is Signing the drivers. I've installed several device drivers successfully that were not signed.

KentHarwell@kdhsof

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2008, 05:32:54 PM »

Have you found a way to get VA11A to work in Windows Vista?

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 06:26:20 AM »

According to the folks at X10 - If you RMA your old VA11A, pay shipping both ways, and add $10, they'll send a VA11A that DOES work with Vista.  (That's what they said - I haven't done it - and I'm skeptical)

Until someone here verifies it, I'm sitting on the sidelines waiting for a reasonable price/package for the VA12A. - And since I've split my system into two - 1=Video functions (XP Pro), 1=Home Automation (Vista Ultimate) - my desire for the VA12A is the improved video resolution.

PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2008, 09:47:06 AM »

Gee... maybe I should apply for a programming job at X10!  ::)   ;D

If you did that, things would start working reliably... the forum would become obsolete... and some of us would have to get a life::)   :P  :D
Oh I don't think the forum would ever become obsolete. It could just morph in to a source of suggested applications rather than mostly problem solving.
Besides I'd still be around to beta test  Bill's software.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 09:56:11 AM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 09:55:31 AM »

...If you RMA your old VA11A, pay shipping both ways, and add $10, they'll send a VA11A that DOES work with Vista....
...I'm sitting on the sidelines waiting for a reasonable price/package for the VA12A....
...my desire for the VA12A is the improved video resolution.
I believe the VA12A is suppose to work with Vista also but don't quote me on that.
It would be nice if they made the $10 offer plus shipping to trade in a VA11A for a VA12A.
I know the video resolution is better with the VA12A!
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 04:44:49 PM »

I know the video resolution is better with the VA12A!

Yep I just got the VA12A package today.... and a nice pretty image on my VISTA LAPTOP. Of course what I would like to use it on... is my XP [home] Home Automation PC. I feel stupid. I guess I have a new device for the big X10 Box. Later when I upgrade the HA PC to vista... I'll be set.

I did upgrade my XP PC to AHP 3.236 (that was scary). I did set a restore point 1st. Interestingly... my failed OnAlert is now working.

Has ANYONE got the new VA12A to work on XP?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2009, 09:19:17 PM »

Has ANYONE got the new VA12A to work on XP?

Someone on some thread... somewhere... said a "powered USB hub" could be the deviced needed to make the VA12A work with XP. Well it didn't work on mine.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

mainman134

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2009, 12:40:19 PM »

So, is there a way to use the x10 video ahp with vista? i just upgraded pc's to one with vista and trying to change over. my xp worked fine but cannot recognize video in vista. What should i do?

Hi everyone! This is Michael Cole. I used to be "X10 Pro" on these boards before leaving X10 last July.

The CM15A driver works and will continue to work because it's signed by Microsoft. Vista will work with any previously signed driver; it doesn't have to be signed as "Works with Windows Vista." Unlike Windows XP, Vista will not allow you to use unsigned drivers. That's why the VA11A driver doesn't work -- it's not signed.

I read this in another thread!

That could explain why your having issues with getting Windows Vista to even recognize the VA11A thing.

rodman5157

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2009, 06:17:32 PM »

>!
I am an advanced program patcher. I have ran every trick I know on the VA11a that usually recognizes itself as VA12A on XP with USB 2.0 port's. I have read all the treads and I can see there is the same problem occuring over and over on many systems.

Here is the only repeatable Easy Fix for now.

0) Regardless of what the software tells you, Do not have any of the X10 usb devices plugged into your computer when you download your software.
1) After you download the software from x10 and are back on the desktop, then run the software setup file. It will Automatically go back on line and finish it's updates.

2) Then Plug the Firecracker- it will auto install ok on XP

3) Then plug in the VA11A it will auto install ok-usually on most systems

4) restart the computer-NOW>>>>>>>>

5) if when you restart the VA11A has an yellow Exclamation point, then unplug the VA11a- and restart

6) DO NOT TURN ON THE COMPUTER with the VA11a or (VA12a) plugged in to any usb.

7) after it is restarted and Running Xp Desktop then Plug the Va11a back in-wait about 15 seconds and it should be working.

THE WHOLE PROBLEM IS THE SOFTWARE DRIVER conflicts out over PRIORITY issues. It must have been rushed out, and not tested. It is as bad as Manually setting IRQ's and DMA address in DOS. Maybe even as bad as SCSI conflict's

Fact is: this should have been resolved before the software was released.

Good Luck with any type of X10 secuirty monitoring device after a powerfailure, if your have a Remote Summer house and loose power there your never going to see anything broadcasted from x10 software. The Vanguard really is bad though- it is just to Prioitized to ONLY look for the VA11a or va12a input card. I have used a lot of other MORE STABLE Viedo input cards that would have made this a good package.

I keep more hacked drivers for the x10 that may work better at:
WWW.rod45103.com
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.