Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can't Install VA11A Under Windows XP  (Read 23093 times)

lingtrin

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Can't Install VA11A Under Windows XP
« on: August 04, 2005, 10:34:00 PM »

I can't install my VA11A on my Windows XP <BR>computer, I install the software conect the <BR>VA11A and the new hardware found window <BR>pops up, and never finds the drivers for <BR>it, I try to look for the manufacturer X10 <BR>but don't see it, then I go to Control <BR>Panel -> Add New Hardware, select the <BR>folder in wich it installed the drivers and <BR>it says that no information found for my <BR>hardware. <BR> <BR>How will I install my VA11A and start using <BR>the "pan tilt pro" software? <BR> <BR>Any help would be greatly apreciated
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 11:09:17 PM by Dan Lawrence »

darkstarz

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • USMC - Semper Fi - Once a Marine, Always a Marine
    • Darkstarz World
Re: Can't Install VA11A Under Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 10:32:02 AM »

I have a similar problem myself. I have 3 VA11A's in all, and they all work just great on 2 computers Running XP Pro, but have a problem with the computer running XP Home edition. Strange as it may seem, if I disconnect the VA11A from the XP Home computer while it is running, then plug it right back in, it's detected with no problem and everything works great after that. But, once I shut down the computer at night, and turn it back on in the morning, it seems to lose the VA11A and Windows Found New Hardware wizard pops back up, and as usual doesn't find the correct driver. Yet, as I said above, if I disconnect it and plug it right back in, it does.
  It's not the hardware, because it does the same thing with any of the 3 VA11A's I have, yet they all work just great on the other 2 computers running XP Pro whether I shut them down over night, or anything. This leads me to believe it's either XP Home, or something else on the XP Home computer itself causing the problem. To add to the frustration, this problem never occurred before even on the XP Home computer until after it was formatted and reinstalled.
  I suggest you try the same thing, unplug the VA11A while the computer is turned on and then plug it right back in and see what happens.
Larry S.
http://www.darkstarz.com
The impossible we do immediately,
Miracles may take us a day longer.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 10:44:43 AM »

Larry : seems XP isn't saving the new driver into its registry yo may have to manualy tell Xp which driver to use inorder for it to be set in the registry. I've posted a link in the "having problem readme first" thread of AHP General but here it is  shows a step by set to do this! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

darkstarz

• Darkstarz World
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 01:07:47 PM »

Tuicemen I appreciate the info, but I already knew and do that. I figured that out a long time ago when I first got a VA11A and had a small problem getting it to be recognized. The problem I'm having is no matter how I go about installing it, once the computer is shutdown for an extended period of time, it seems to disappear.
  If I install it and have it working I can restart the computer and it's still there. But, once the computer is shutdown over night, for an extended period of time, that's when it loses the device. It comes back as an Unknown USB device. If I go through the steps as you mentioned and try to install the driver from the Common File area, XP says it can't find a driver that matches the device and won't install it from there. But if I unplug the dang thing and plug it back in, while the computer is on, it doesn't matter what USB socket I use, it finds it automatically with no problem. It'll even show up in the Registry when I do a search for it using Regedit. It's only when the computer is shutdown for a few minutes or longer that it seems to lose it.
 To top it off, a month or 2 ago, it was all working just great, whether the computer was shutdown or not, it worked as it should. I'm beginning to think Bill Gates is somewhere hiding inside the thing waiting to torment the hell out of me.  :D
  Got any other ideas or suggestions? I'm willing to try anything since it's the wife's computer and need to keep the lil woman happy!  ;D
Larry S.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 01:25:25 PM »

Humm when you start up the computer is it seeing any driver for that device(intel cam)?  ???
If so you maybe able disable it (havn't tried this) then install the va11a drivers XP may see the intel driver as disabled and try the x10 one (just a thought) ;)
Also you may be able to track down the intel driver on your pc and delete it( haven't tried this either) ::) ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

darkstarz

• Darkstarz World
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 09:31:28 PM »

Hey Tuice, when it starts back up there is no driver or device installed for either the VA11A or the Intel PC Camera. The Found new hardware wizard starts and no matter which option I go for, having it search for it, or I select the the driver for it, the responses I get are either; "Hardware not installed can't find necessary software" (even though I point it to the Program Files/Common files/X10/Drivers/VA11A) or "Does not contain any device information" or "Does not contain information about your device".
  But as soon as I unplug the dang thing and plug it back in to any USB port, it finds it and works great! I have even tried unplugging the VA11A, start the install of X10Drivers.exe, when it gets to the point where it says to plug in any of the listed devices shown, I plug it back in, and it installs it. I can restart the computer, and it's there. But once it's shutdown for a few minutes, it's right back to square one, neither the VA11A nor the Intel PC Camera are installed.
  I thought Houdini was the best, but now, I got a computer that's really something else. The only good thing, it's the wifes computer!  :D  But when she goes to use it, well let's just say it aint pretty..... LOL !  I really appreciate the help and hope we can come up with a solution for this one. Been working on computers for over 20 years and haven't seen something like this yet.
Larry S.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 09:19:58 AM »

Heres a thought (maybe you've already tried these)  ???
Ones you have the VA11A driver installed and working either disable System Restore  or make a new system restore point! I don't use the dam thing as it causes more problems than it fixes! ;)  ::) ::)
Another thing you can try if that doesn't work is to install in Safe Mode some things only take if installed there and some things you can't install there! ::) ???
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

darkstarz

• Darkstarz World
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 08:53:40 PM »

Hey Tuicemen I really appreciate your time and effort trying to help me figure this one out. If I didn't have to go to the hospital today and get injected with radiation I'd have replied sooner. Not sure if you can see it or not but I think I'm actually glowing tonight! (can you see me now!  ;D)
  I have to admit, this is one of the most puzzling problems I have ever come across. But... I have GREAT NEWS!, after installing, removing, installing, removing, installing, removing so many damn times that i can do it with my eyes closed and one hand tied behind my back, the answer finally hit me like a ton of bricks. Don't know why I didn't think of it before (maybe cause I'm half Polish and half Czech) but it's all about power. And I'm not talking about the power the wife has over me either.  ::)
  The power I'm referring to is the power to run a USB adapter. Even though there is 6 USB ports on the computer it doesn't mean that there's enough power to run every USB item connected to them. As soon as I took the self-powered USB hub off my computer and put it on the wife's, and reinstalled everything, TA-DA ! Everything runs like a charm whether you turn it off over night or anything. Can't believe I wasted 3 whole days trying to figure this chit out when the answer was right in front of me all the time. Another lesson well learned and guarantee I won't forget it either. But it's also something that can be used to resolve a lot of other problems on the Forums here too. Power and whether or not the USB ports are using 1.1 or 2.0.
  Thanks again for your help, and as I say to my comrades,   Semper Fi !
Larry S.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 03:07:24 PM »

Hey nice to hear you got it to stick! ;) ;D :)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

robert hiller

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 08:05:27 AM »

? for Larry S.

Larry,
I also have 3 VA11A's installed in XP Pro. They are all active but have the same name. I access them with directX and other resources using VB 6.0. It seems that only one can be active at a time. Have you had any luck using all 3 simultaneously?

Thanks,
Bob Hiller
Lifts for the Disabled LLC

darkstarz

• Darkstarz World
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 01:10:41 PM »

I apologize for not replying for so damn long, it's not like me to not do that, and can only apologize. I'm a disabled veteran and have been dealing with some issues with the VA and the VA Hospital in Saginaw, MI that I go to for my treatment, and it's been a very long and tough road. But, hopefully things will get a bit better now.
  I have not tried using multiple VA11A's in any of my systems to be honest. As it is I have been having issues with getting Windows Vista to even recognize the darn thing right now. I do have a identical setup on my XP system that is still working for me and will see if I can't give it a shot at running multiple adapters and let you know how it works. I know I can view multple video app's opened at once, a tv tuner, Realplayer, and Windows medai player and AHP, so maybe theres a chance of getting ot to work.
Larry S.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 06:10:20 PM »

Hi everyone! This is Michael Cole. I used to be "X10 Pro" on these boards before leaving X10 last July.

The CM15A driver works and will continue to work because it's signed by Microsoft. Vista will work with any previously signed driver; it doesn't have to be signed as "Works with Windows Vista." Unlike Windows XP, Vista will not allow you to use unsigned drivers. That's why the VA11A driver doesn't work -- it's not signed.

I read this in another thread!

That could explain why your having issues with getting Windows Vista to even recognize the VA11A thing.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 01:38:05 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 07:40:06 PM »

Another indication that X10's programming staff has been seriously depleted.  :(
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 09:40:24 PM »

Another indication that X10's programming staff has been seriously depleted.  :(

Gee... maybe I should apply for a programming job at X10!   ::)   ;D
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 09:52:06 PM »

Gee... maybe I should apply for a programming job at X10!   ::)   ;D

If you did that, things would start working reliably... the forum would become obsolete... and some of us would have to get a life::)   :P  :D
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.