Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: April 30, 2024, 07:57:32 AM 
Started by HR - Last post by HR
Nice to know X10 is still alive and kicking and I thank you both for the quick and concise replies.

on: April 29, 2024, 11:48:52 PM 
Started by HR - Last post by JeffVolp
You need more than a passive coupler.  In addition to filters on any obvious noisemakers like UPS units for PC's, a repeater would go a long way to solving your problem.  The venerable XTB-IIR is no longer available so your best bet would be an X-10 XPCR wired in at your electrical panel.

I recently ordered a small batch of XTB-IIR PCBs for a customer who wanted to build his own units, and there are some PCBs left over for anyone who wants to build one from scratch.  The parts list and assembly notes are on line.

The plug-in XTBR is still available.  It is a single-phase version of the XTB-IIR and runs essentially the same repeater code, but it must be paired with a good tuned circuit passive coupler.  The X10 XPCP has been discontinued, but a good coupler can be made with just 2 components as described here:

https://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=31723.msg189289#msg189289

Jeff

on: April 29, 2024, 08:28:59 PM 
Started by HR - Last post by brobin
You need more than a passive coupler.  In addition to filters on any obvious noisemakers like UPS units for PC's, a repeater would go a long way to solving your problem.  The venerable XTB-IIR is no longer available so your best bet would be an X-10 XPCR wired in at your electrical panel. It's simple job that doesn't require an electrician unless you're uncomfortable doing it.
https://www.x10.com/collections/x10-filters-and-repeaters/products/xpcr

Also try unplugging some of the "wall warts" used for phone chargers and the like.  They can still provide power but start generating noise on the power line as they age or if they're poorly designed.  I once had one that shut down X10 for the whole house till I unplugged it!

Also, read some of the great info here:  https://jvde.us/x10-troubleshooting/

on: April 29, 2024, 03:53:06 PM 
Started by HR - Last post by HR
I picked up my first X10 stuff in the 90's when shopping on the World Wide Web was akin to the Wild West.  I have 90% of the original items I purchased and for all intents and purposes, they still work.  The problem is the amount of junk we now have in our home plugged into power strips and so forth.    I am not an electrician and I'm not testing signal strength, etc, I simply have always had 2 RF Transceivers and I positioned them in various plugs in my home until the lights turned on, and turned off...and stayed that way.    For probably 18 years all was right with the world.  Except when you plugged in Christmas Lights or moved something to a different socket in a different room, then...well.....move that transceiver around.   

But the past few years have been problematic at best.  I believe one of my original transceivers died, half the lights stopped responding to my "Add a Keypad" flat adhesive-backed keypads I use to control two separate floors and blocks of lights on each floor.   I plugged in a temporary "small format" transceiver while I wait for the RF501 (?) replacement to arrive, and it helped but not 100%.  Now I have some lights that refuse to turn on (no signal) and I have others that randomly turn themselves off...and one that randomly turns itself on.

Obviously this won't stand, and I am hoping that having 2 of the larger transceivers (which I believe prevent ghosting of signals) again will alleviate the problem.

But truth is, this is a sloppy fix/band aid at best.  One of my lights no longer receives the on/off signal on the floor where all of the others do, and its the one that is closest to the small 3 button (plus dimmer) keypad (Cr2032 powered) and one of the two tranceivers.   in other areas of the house, lights are turning on and off and I believe this is due to having exactly 1 motion detector that turns on a light in a room when you enter it auto-magically.........again I think a ghosting/repeating signal.

I did pick up a couple of spare noise-isolators that I put on some power-strips that don't pull a lot of power, that seemed to help.....is the solution to add those to power strips when necessary?  I mean the whole x10 thing is a bit rube-goldberg in my home, but I can't deny that replacing everything with smart-bulbs that can be controlled from space is not my ideal solution.

I literally want to turn lights on and off and having the little CR2032 powered switches on the walls blended seamlessly into my home, but now those will really only trigger 'some' of the lights, enough to find a larger 16 button remote control and trigger the rest of them.   And even those, sometimes, I need to re-position my body, etc.     I do have a passive coupler on my dryer that I stopped using years ago because I found it seemed to make zero difference with it on or off, and on it would get and stay warm.   

Anyhow that's my story, suggestions or mockery both accepted with thanks.

on: April 18, 2024, 08:21:12 PM 
Started by gadgetboy - Last post by brobin
Glad to hear it's working!

on: April 18, 2024, 10:31:11 AM 
Started by gadgetboy - Last post by gadgetboy
Just a quick update.
I set up 4 of the six fixtures and then got sick, so no more up and down the ladders. The Switck (WS469) was still not working on the LEDs but thought it would need to wait until I wasable to agin ascend the ladder. Then I did my customary re-install and update of both RPi and HG and VOILA!!! everything works. It may be the change of seasons or something my neighbors stopped doing in their property but now it works. Once I can once again trust my legs to take on the ladder, I will finish the upgrade and let you know about the changes in operation. I have, on occasion noticed improvements in function with updates in both RPi and HG so maybe this has happened again.

Dave

on: April 08, 2024, 08:09:40 PM 
Started by nabril15 - Last post by brobin
I've been using the Yolink modules which are long range RF controlled and not WiFi.  It's just over almost 2 years now and I'm up to about 35 devices including about 10 leak detectors.  Only the hub is connected to WiFi and modules can be set to talk to each other or through the hub.  Very tight Alexa integration and Matter compliance is coming.
yosmart.com

on: April 08, 2024, 07:34:57 PM 
Started by nabril15 - Last post by SkipWX10
I have a hybrid system consisting of X-10 modules and switches and TP Link switches and some Amazon branded switches. All the X-10 stuff is controlled by the CM15a and everything is voice controlled by Alexa and a Smartenit Harmony.

One  reason for not ditching X-10 is simply the desire to retain local control. Lose the internet and you've lost control of your cloud based system. Since my TP Link and Amazon switches just control outside lights, I still have home automation inside with local control.

Just my 0.02

on: April 08, 2024, 04:13:08 PM 
Started by nabril15 - Last post by nabril15
Hello X-people

I'm a long-time x-10 enthusiast and advocate, and I've been frustrated and perplexed, like many of you, during that same time when an xps-2 comes to life on its own, for example.

I came across an amazon deal of 2 TPLink Tapo Matter smart light switches for $25, and it got me thinking and wondering of perhaps switching to a newer and different technology. On the surface, these 2 switches are certainly cheaper than one xps3 switch. I looked up what Matter HA is, and I'm not sure that I learned anything.

My set up is very simple, consisting of 3 xps3's, one xps2 for the pool pump, a socket rocket, and a plug-in appliance module.

While I realize that possibly leaving x-10 shouldn't be in this forum, but I ask for possible suggestions on a next system that is "simple", app-driven, addresses my system needs, and that isn't as quirky as x-10.

Thanks

on: April 07, 2024, 03:11:03 PM 
Started by JeffVolp - Last post by brobin
Very interesting situation!  At least next time it happens you'll know where to start unplugging things.
My first guess was that someone plugged in that awful Cellet wall wart I sent you years ago but no amount of breaker flipping would fix that sucker!   :'

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.