Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: New OnAlertMobile  (Read 57112 times)

J.B.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
New OnAlertMobile
« on: October 04, 2010, 07:49:38 PM »

This new plug-in sounds pretty straight forward.
Just awaiting it being put on the server for download and have a question.
This software claims you can arm and disarm from your device. Does this mean OnAlert will have a revamp to allow disarming from AHP?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: New OnAlertMobile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 08:43:53 PM »

....... Does this mean OnAlert will have a revamp to allow disarming from AHP?

I saw that and wondered the same thing... but it does appear as that is what X10 is advertising. As I've understood it... the inability to deactivate the alarm through APH has always been a software thingy... and not a limit of the hardware. It is so cool... what this new software is offering us as... automation users.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

J.B.

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 09:08:25 PM »

I'm anxious to test it out.

ActivePhone and iWatchMobile are quite convenient and this will add yet another tool to the "Automation Swiss Army knife".
Few things being worked out with iWatchMobile, but it's great they are on top of it and it is/will be a handy tool once the kinks are ironed out.  >!

X10 Dev

• Helpful Post Rating: 19
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 09:41:51 PM »

This new plug-in sounds pretty straight forward.
Just awaiting it being put on the server for download and have a question.
This software claims you can arm and disarm from your device. Does this mean OnAlert will have a revamp to allow disarming from AHP?

Yes.   ;D

J.B.

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 09:44:07 PM »

Excellent! That is a good thing, at least for me.  :)

J.B.

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 03:29:09 AM »

I've installed the plug-in and it has a nice simple layout, looks good to me.
Unfortunately, when my software registration email was sent they only provided the link and registration code for the standard OnAlert plug-in that is included with OnAlertMoble.
I assume this was due to the fact that OnAlertMobile hadn't been released on the server yet, so I will have to contact them later.
I see two disarm options in the macro designer now.
I use two ds7000 consoles and am wondering once I receive my reg code if there is a way to use multiple consoles with OnAlertMobile and determine which I want to control.

ErikP

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 02:34:07 PM »

I use two ds7000 consoles and am wondering once I receive my reg code if there is a way to use multiple consoles with OnAlertMobile and determine which I want to control.

Currently OnAlertMobile is only able to send commands on a single secure code.  While you could register this code with both controllers, it would just cause both controllers to react when you press a button, not control each individually.

This is an excellent suggestion for a future version, so I will put this at the top of our suggested features list :)

Macros in ActiveHome Pro will work the same as before.  You can register two remotes, one with each console, install both in ActiveHome Pro, and then make macros to control each, emulating the different remotes to control the different consoles.

J.B.

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 02:39:38 PM »

Thanks kindly for the response.
Not a huge deal right now if I can control them both at the same time, but it would be a plus to have the option to control several individually.

Thanks again.

Some people have mentioned that this setup could lower the security of your system.
Eg: the mobile plug-ins could allow someone to connect to your system if they acquired your IP address and knew the port # AHP apps use.
Is there any way to add a username/password prompt that you would have to know in order to login to AHP?
This could make the system much more secure.
Possibly the ability to setup usernames and passwords IF you so desired.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 03:47:14 PM by J.B. »

ErikP

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 04:31:24 PM »

Some people have mentioned that this setup could lower the security of your system.
Eg: the mobile plug-ins could allow someone to connect to your system if they acquired your IP address and knew the port # AHP apps use.
Is there any way to add a username/password prompt that you would have to know in order to login to AHP?
This could make the system much more secure.
Possibly the ability to setup usernames and passwords IF you so desired.

This is definitely only intended to be used locally on a well secured Wi-Fi network.  Port forwarding is great for the other web apps, but it probably does more harm than good when it comes to controlling your home security system.  Without port forwarding, and with appropriate Wi-Fi security settings, access to your security console through this plug-in should be just as secure as your electric bank statements, tax backups, and everything else on your home computer you don't really want to share.

We could certainly add some extra security options if there is demand to open this up to outside access.  It would probably be a pass key issued when you use the invite a cell phone dialog.  This would provide security similar to a username/password, but maintain the one click access the current version gives you.

J.B.

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 04:44:34 PM »

I was thinking one good reason to have outside access is if you happen to forget to arm your system.
You could then arm it from the mobile app.
MyHouse has user-level permissions, I figured this function, or similar, could be added to allow a more secure outside connection for people who would have need for this.

Port forwarding is great for the other web apps, but it probably does more harm than good when it comes to controlling your home security system.

The other mobile apps use the same port #.
If any of these apps were available from an outside connection, then any other could be accessed if the pseron connecting knew the link structure. eg: http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8777/onalert, http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8777/activephone, http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8777/iwatch.

Just a suggestion that would allow the software to be more functional while keeping it fairly secure.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 05:20:35 PM by J.B. »

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 07:11:21 PM »

My Icon remote can also control my alarm and rests beside my easychair when I go out. But you need to know and use the code... when using the Icon to disarm the alarm. I have also modified a RF remote to be controlled with a powerflash module. I am thrilled to see a better remote disarm.

So if the secured Wi-Fi also uses a code. You should be seriously safe from normal crash and grab break-ins. Maybe a team from MicroSoft could hack their way into your system from a truck parked in your driveway. I can't see that happening.

Robert Wagner made thieves look pretty smart back when he stared in "it takes a thief". A late 60's TV show about the adventures of a suave cat burglar [Alexander Mundy], who plied his trade for the U.S. Government.

However... I wouldn't credit most burglars with the stills that the writers empowered Alexander Mundy with. Besides... we are all likely safe from the likes of Robert Wagner... since he does have that Reverse Mortgage Gig now.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 07:16:04 PM by Dave_x10_L »

J.B.

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 07:33:01 PM »

My Icon remote can also control my alarm and rests beside my easychair when I go out. But you need to know and use the code... when using the Icon to disarm the alarm.

I really like my Icon RF and NStinct remotes and this is a handy feature of them, IMO.

This new mobile app could allow you to control your security system away from home and use a similar disarm code as the Icon/Nstinct does.
As of now, you don't have to enter a disarm code, just hit disarm.

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 08:33:47 PM »

As of now, you don't have to enter a disarm code, just hit disarm.

It should have a setup like the remote... IMHO (like I am ever humble about my opinions).

J.B.

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 01:28:52 PM »

Just wondering if anyone has heard of an update on the registration issues.
I am still not able to register my OnAlertMobile plug-in.

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 02:55:06 PM »

I just posted on their Facebook page about not getting mine either from the contest.  Then I went back to look and another user that had a bad experience with their RMA department and my post have been deleted!!!  I guess they just want positive feedback!

I specifically remember a post from x10 saying they welcomed both positive and negative feedback, we want to know what you think!  I GUESS NOT!!!!
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.