Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: What I'd like to do with X10 and my Pi  (Read 37399 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: What I'd like to do with X10 and my Pi
« Reply #120 on: August 16, 2018, 06:59:49 PM »

I realized I had loaded MagicMirror (MM) on my Docker test HG SD card B:(
So as to get a better idea of the true performance I loaded it to my SD Card with my operational Mono HG install.
WoW what a difference!
Watching the CPU % it very rarely goes above 45%  and most of the time is under 5%, the docker install never ran below 79%  :o

The browser is the issue for MM on my tablet as I had the same issue with an old phone. The phone I was able to install Chrome and that fixed the display. Unfortunately Chrome will not install on my x10 Airpad :'(

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #121 on: August 16, 2018, 10:02:57 PM »

Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2018, 08:06:09 AM »

Thanks Dave,
The issue is my X10AirPad is running Android 2.3 and many of the newer versions of android compatible browsers require Android 4.1 B:( so they won't even install.
Opera does install but MM will not display B:( I'll keep looking for a browser that works as that would be the easy solution.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2018, 09:09:11 AM »

The issue is my X10AirPad is running Android 2.3 and many of the newer versions of android compatible browsers require Android 4.1.....

You might find some cheap Amazon tablets... with Alexa enabled.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: August 17, 2018, 09:15:43 AM »

The issue is my X10AirPad is running Android 2.3 and many of the newer versions of android compatible browsers require Android 4.1.....

You might find some cheap Amazon tablets... with Alexa enabled.
I could surely find a newer inexpensive tablet for this MM project and that maybe what I'll have to do in the end.
However rather then trash my Airpad I'd like to put it to some use if possible.
I know I can create an app that will run on it so that will be something for me to play with once Automation season arrives.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: August 20, 2018, 12:52:39 PM »

Well looks like running MM from my HG PI is a bust, even in server mode the CPU usage % starts to climb and this is just using the basic modules. B:(  I do have my mirror built for a tablet so I'll maybe set it up to monitor my city place where I plan to build a MM as well to I should be able to tap into it a home grown app.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: November 20, 2018, 11:47:15 AM »

in the summer my city Pi suffered from a power blip which corrupt my SD card.
I've since picked up a UPS which has 3 outlets and 2 USB ports.
I'm wondering how others have connected to a UPS and have do you software running on your pi to do a safe power down.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #127 on: November 20, 2018, 09:11:00 PM »

I haven't done it but, assuming the Pi can detect the change in the state of a relay output to trigger a shutdown, then just a simple wall wart powered relay would turn off when the power goes down and the PI would be triggered to do an orderly shutdown.

HA Dave

« Reply #128 on: November 23, 2018, 10:22:47 PM »

in the summer my city Pi suffered from a power blip which corrupt my SD card.…..

I would think.... that after any changes/updates are made to the Pi/SD Card.... a new image/copy of the card would be made. So if a card is corrupted, it could them be reformatted and reimaged.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: November 24, 2018, 07:29:16 AM »

I would think.... that after any changes/updates are made to the Pi/SD Card.... a new image/copy of the card would be made. So if a card is corrupted, it could them be reformatted and reimaged.
Yep. I also had a spare card ready to go on hand for such a thing. the issue was I wasn't in the city for over a week when the Pi card was corrupted.

The USP actually serves a number of purposes as well as preventing a simple power blip from corrupting the SD card on the pi.
It keeps my modem powered so I can still check on things (if the internet is still working)when away.
With the modem working I still get notifications to my phone of a security breach.
I can still run a camera or two to capture photos or just check in on things. I may also add the camera attachment to the Pi in the future.

The UPS I picked up was much cheaper then the one designed for the Pi header thoughI may look into setting up somthing with a Supercapacitor for extra protection. there are many examples of this on the net.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #130 on: November 24, 2018, 10:30:04 PM »

…. Yep. I also had a spare card ready to go on hand for such a thing. the issue was I wasn't in the city for over a week when the Pi card was corrupted.

Crap... I wasn't thinking about the distance to your remote connection.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #131 on: November 27, 2018, 10:48:36 AM »

I'm wondering how others have connected to a UPS and have do you software running on your pi to do a safe power down.

I have a service running on my RPi that uses the USB connection to my APC UPS to monitor changes in power state.  I have a small script in HG that sends notifications of changes as well.  I can't remember if the HG script is what triggers the shutdown or if that's part of the service, but either way it has worked in the past pretty well.  As I've stated elsewhere, when the Mono certificates expire the notification stops so I need to get that worked out.

The service I use is called APCUPSD.
http://www.apcupsd.com/

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #132 on: November 27, 2018, 11:00:57 AM »

It looks like I have the service handle shutting down the RPi.  I don't think I have a way to turn it back on if it does shut down though, so that's not ideal.  It might automatically turn back on if the UPS is reconnected to power, but should the power flicker when it comes back on, it's possible the RPi could turn on and then lose power since the battery may not be fully charged.  The RPi is instructed to shut down, but I have other devices on the UPS as well that could continue to drain the battery do flat.

In any case, this is my HG script for handling the UPS service.  Remove the ".txt" from the file name and it can be imported into HG.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: November 27, 2018, 11:04:50 AM »

I have a service running on my RPi that uses the USB connection to my APC UPS to monitor changes in power state.  I have a small script in HG that sends notifications of changes as well.  I can't remember if the HG script is what triggers the shutdown or if that's part of the service, but either way it has worked in the past pretty well.  As I've stated elsewhere, when the Mono certificates expire the notification stops so I need to get that worked out.

The service I use is called APCUPSD.
http://www.apcupsd.com/
  Thanks,from the documentation looks like you need two usb cables coming from the USP to the Pi a bit difficult for the Pi Zero W, but not impossible.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #134 on: November 27, 2018, 12:49:41 PM »

Thanks,from the documentation looks like you need two usb cables coming from the USP to the Pi a bit difficult for the Pi Zero W, but not impossible.

Why 2 cables?  I have a single cable running from the UPS to the RPi3 to monitor the status.  If you mean the second to provide power, well that's true.  I doubt there's a way to have the same cable provide power as well as connect to the UPS as a Host.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.