Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: What I'd like to do with X10 and my Pi  (Read 37762 times)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: What I'd like to do with X10 and my Pi
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2018, 12:33:25 PM »

Thanks petera that should work on my old AirPad and allow me to put that back into operation.

Just gives the mobile device option. It's a basic app but it works both locally and remotely.

You've had a busy but productive weekend by all accounts. You deserve one of these  >!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2018, 02:03:16 PM »

I used that version of the HG app or a while.  It works just fine, but it is very basic.  I eventually broke down and purchased the paid app when it was on sale.  I don't have a payment method associated with my Play account, so I can't easily just buy apps (that's by choice as much as for some kind of perceived security).  I can say that the paid app is significantly faster and more featured.  If you are sure HG is the path forward, it's really a great program worth having.

docbell

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2018, 04:00:30 PM »

Unfortunately, the HomeGenie mobile app seems to be Android only. This is one of the things that has held me back from trying HG.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2018, 04:40:12 PM »

Unfortunately, the HomeGenie mobile app seems to be Android only. This is one of the things that has held me back from trying HG.

True but Android devices are so cheap theses days it's nearly worth buying one just to use it.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2018, 04:45:04 PM »

I used that version of the HG app or a while.  It works just fine, but it is very basic.  I eventually broke down and purchased the paid app when it was on sale.  I don't have a payment method associated with my Play account, so I can't easily just buy apps (that's by choice as much as for some kind of perceived security).  I can say that the paid app is significantly faster and more featured.  If you are sure HG is the path forward, it's really a great program worth having.

Interesting. Is Gene still providing tech support for the that app.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2018, 05:18:10 PM »

The app was last updated in January so it appears Gene is still providing support.

You could probably use the Smartthings app to control HG devices from an IOS device.
You'd have to setup a HG device handler in the Smartthings developer siteandspecify your modules there.
I may look at creating a device handler for HG X10 devices in the near future unless someone beats me to it. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2018, 07:44:26 PM »

You can use any device to control HG if you use the API that's available.  You can call a command to power on/off a device by pulling the right web address.  Some users were using this as a way to use their phone to trigger certain things (I think presence based things at one point for example).  Any device or computer that has the ability to access a web link of some kind can trigger an event in HG without using any kind of app.

Also, there was a Windows Phone app if that helps.  As for whether Gene is still supporting the Android plus app...I have no idea.  It's complete and working so I guess the question is would he fix something if there was a bug found at some point.  To that, I don't know.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2018, 09:40:26 PM »

OK so I broke down and created a SmartThings HG device handler for X10.
I figured it may free up some CUP power & memory which HA-Bridge may be using on my Pi ZeroW.
That should make HG faster. ::) :'
for those that are unfamiliar with how to use a device handler you'll wish to check out my forum for more info
http://forums.tuicemen.net/index.php?topic=1294.0
For those that already know how to use SmartThings cloud Platform the device handler is attached.
I've only done some brief testing but on and off does work with the SmartThings app
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2018, 11:53:20 AM »

I forgot the zero has Bluetooth! B:(
 -:) Maybe a Bluetooth speaker will work for sound. ::) :'
Anyone tried this?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2018, 12:15:33 PM »

...... -:) Maybe a Bluetooth speaker will work for sound. ::) :'
Anyone tried this? 

I had a large number of voice alerts from my old PC based HA setup (with BVC).

When I took my HA Laptops off-line... I had considered creating wav files that would play warnings and notices (through my Hometroller/Pi). But.... I eventually also took down my wired speaker system as well. I have an extra BT speaker system (replaced by an Echo). And had considered using that.

But decided instead to try using phone [sound] notices. As I can't really think of any notice that I would only want if I was at home to hear it. Currently... the ONLY part of my setup that I've satisfactorily got sound notices set-up for through my phone.... has been garage alerts. BUT the HS system does allow for text and email alerts. So the mechanism is there... it is my own fault that I haven't done more.

I'd look at find/creating an app... that plays pre-recorded wav sounds. Then the app could travel about with you on your phone.... OR on a Pi or tiny PC for home use. THIS... is one example of how a cloud based function is best at accomplishing desired tasks. And... why I am re-imagining my setup... instead of just re-creating it. I can always.... just put the old setup back together. But what a great opportunity to look for new ways to do even better stuff with HA.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 12:23:24 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2018, 12:24:04 PM »

I've send sound from my PC to one of my amazon dots prior, so I suspect I can also do that with a Pi.
Since HG can send Voice notifications there may be some instance when I'd like this.
However to be honest I have no Idea when they would be.
I can send text or email via HG as well, problem is, my cell phone is not glued to my side and most times I forget where I placed it. ::) :'
Sometimes it will take me a day before I see a text on it :-[
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2018, 12:33:24 PM »

I'd look at find/creating an app... that plays pre-recorded wav sounds. Then the app could travel about with you on your phone.... OR on a Pi or tiny PC for home use. THIS... is one example of how a cloud based function is best at accomplishing desired tasks. And... why I am re-imagining my setup... instead of just re-creating it. I can always.... just put the old setup back together. But what a great opportunity to look for new ways to do even better stuff with HA.
The cool thing with HG is it doesn't need the cloud though it can take advantage of it. If an internet connection is there!
My internet connection at my off grid place has now been down for 32 hours and counting, and my ISP has no idea when it will be back up. B:(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2018, 01:04:27 PM »

I've send sound from my PC to one of my amazon dots prior, so I suspect I can also do that with a Pi.
Since HG can send Voice notifications there may be some instance when I'd like this.
However to be honest I have no Idea when they would be.

My HA wired speaker setup.... wasn't my idea. I'd read here at this forum of a member that had done that... MANY years earlier. BT is a modern step up. By not a big one. We've had RF video and sound with our X10 for years.

I can send text or email via HG as well, problem is, my cell phone is not glued to my side and most times I forget where I placed it. ::) :'
Sometimes it will take me a day before I see a text on it :-[

I have no idea how to react to that... or what to think about it. I know my 90+ year old mother often times over-looks her mobile phone. But I don't understand that either. I'd guess..... that somewhere there is an old grandfather who complains about how tiny the channel selection buttons are on his TV... yet refuses to use his TV remote.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2018, 01:18:01 PM »

I'd guess..... that somewhere there is an old grandfather who complains about how tiny the channel selection buttons are on his TV... yet refuses to use his TV remote.

Neither of my LED TVs have channel buttons just up down buttons and not easy to get at. rofl
If my remote breaks I'll be lost. :-[
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2018, 01:20:34 PM »

........ My internet connection at my off grid place has now been down for 32 hours and counting, and my ISP has no idea when it will be back up. B:(

Well.... that bodes well for my idea of downloading movies (or even news casts while traveling in route)... to your phone and then mirroring them to your cabin TV.

I've recently been re-thinking many of my "services" here. I've been streaming a lot more of my TV content. I no longer use premium [cable] content and am looking at various Internet news services as well. I am considering trying/TESTING hot-spot cellular Internet access. I can/could use my iPhone as a hot-spot for test purposes... but would want something more stable for any permanent setup.

Maybe... a cellular solution might work for you. Knightrider is the expert in that field around here.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.